Butler & Harris handles a wide variety of employment matters for its clients.
We advise and represent people from many different fields, in both the public and private sector: law enforcement, academia and education, medical, engineering, oil and gas, and many others.
We have represented police officers, executives, professors and teachers, doctors, engineers, and entry level workers.
The firm also represents several small businesses in the Houston area.
These lawyers know that there are many good people who run businesses and they are proud to count several of them among their clients. After all, Butler & Harris is a small business itself.
Legal Issues We Handle
Here are some of the more frequently encountered issues:
- Discrimination in the Workplace – such as assignments, promotions and demotion, or terminations
- Gender – including gender stereotypes
- Sexual Harassment
- Race or Color
- National Origin
- Military Service (USERRA)
- Pay Discrimination
- Disability Rights – discrimination, harassment, accommodation, or retaliation
- Harassment or Hostile Work Environment
- Leave – medical leave, leave for family needs, and other forms of leave
- the Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Military Leave (USERRA)
- Maternity / Paternity Leave
- Unemployment Benefits – ensuring that benefits are awarded or denied appropriately
- Retaliation – whistleblowing, opposition to misconduct or unlawful activity
- Governmental Employees (State, Local, and Federal) – including the fields of law enforcement, education, healthcare, and others
- Opposing Misconduct – First Amendment rights
- TCLEOSE F-5 Appeals
- Internal Grievance Process
- Due Process Rights
- Employment Agreements – contracts, non-competes, and severance packages
- Employee Benefits (ERISA)
- Sexual Assault
- Other Conflict or Personnel Problems in the Workplace
- internal investigations,
- performance reviews
- workplace bullying,
- communication problems