Katherine L. Butler has practiced law for more than 30 years.
After graduating from law school in 1981, she completed a two-year judicial clerkship with Judge Reynaldo Garza of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Since 1988, she has practiced with former law school classmate, Margie Harris.
She is the Chair of the American Diabetes Association’s Legal Advocacy Subcommittee. She is also a past President of the Texas Employment Lawyers Association, a past Chair of the State Bar Labor & Employment Law Section, and serves on the Judicial Nominations Committee of the National Employment Lawyers Association.
- J.D., The University of Houston, 1981
- B.A. in Public Policy Sciences, Duke University, 1976
- The American Diabetes Association’s Public Policy Leadership Award, honoring an individual “that significantly impacts public policy to benefit people with diabetes and the mission of the American Diabetes Association.”
- AV Preeminent Rated
- Rated as a Super Lawyer in several categories through independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations every year since its inception in 2003
- “Top 50 Women Lawyers in the State of Texas” – Law & Politics Texas Super Lawyers
- “Top 100 Houston Super Lawyers” – Law & Politics Texas Super Lawyers
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of Texas, U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Northern, and Western Districts of Texas, and the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and District of Columbia Circuits.
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Fellow, College of Labor & Employment Lawyers
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Houston Bar Association, American Constitution Society, Texas Employment Lawyers Association, National Employment Lawyers Association, and the Houston National Employment Lawyers Association.
Recent Publications and Speeches
- Title VII Update, State Bar of Texas, 22nd Annual Employment Law Course (2014)
- Summary Judgment Practice: Live or Die, American Bar Association (ABA) Section of Labor and Employment, 7th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference (2013)
- Duty of Reasonable Accommodation, State Bar of Texas, 25th Annual Suing and Defending
Governmental Entities Course (2013)
- Disability Rights on the Move: Effective Advocacy With A New and Improved Statute, State Bar of Texas, 2012 Labor & Employment Law Institute