Katherine L. Butler has practiced law for more than 30 years.
After graduating from law school in 1981, she completed a two-year judicial clerkship with Judge Reynaldo Garza of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Since 1988, she has practiced with former law school classmate, Margie Harris.
She serves on the Executive Board of the National Employment Lawyers Association. She is the Former Chair of the American Diabetes Association’s Legal Advocacy Subcommittee. She is also a past President of the Texas Employment Lawyers Association, a past Chair of the State Bar Labor & Employment Law Section, and serves on the Judicial Nominations Committee of the National Employment Lawyers Association.
- J.D., The University of Houston, 1981
- B.A. in Public Policy Sciences, Duke University, 1976
- The American Diabetes Association’s Public Policy Leadership Award, honoring an individual “that significantly impacts public policy to benefit people with diabetes and the mission of the American Diabetes Association.”
- AV Preeminent Rated
- Rated as a Super Lawyer in several categories through independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations every year since its inception in 2003
- “Top 50 Women Lawyers in the State of Texas” – Texas Super Lawyers (2017)
- “Top 100 Houston Super Lawyers” – Texas Super Lawyers (2017)
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of Texas, U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Northern, and Western Districts of Texas, and the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and District of Columbia Circuits.
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Fellow, College of Labor & Employment Lawyers
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Houston Bar Association, American Constitution Society, Texas Employment Lawyers Association, National Employment Lawyers Association, and the Houston National Employment Lawyers Association.
Recent Publications and Speeches
- Federal Employment Case Law Update, State Bar of Texas, 25th Advanced Employment Law Course (2017)
- Fundamentals of Employment Law, State Bar of Texas, Soaking Up Some CLE: A South Texas Litigation Course (2017)
- Federal Law Update, State Bar of Texas, Labor & Employment Law Section, 28th Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute (2017)
- What’s Happening at the EEOC and Case Law Update, American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee Midwinter Meeting (2017)